Monday, January 19, 2009

Endure to the end

Last week in Sacrament Meeting, one of our Primary teachers gave a fabulous talk on enduring to the end. Jennifer is fun to talk to because she is well-read and totally gospel-centered. She is an English teacher, and I really appreciate the insights she gave.

She said that the word "endure" has a Latin root that means to harden or strengthen. Too often, we think of enduring as equaling suffering, but that is not how we should interpret it. Endurance, on the other hand, is viewed as moving forward with strength, or using strength and power to get to the end of a race.

We should keep this connotation in mind when we think of the phrase "endure to the end."

I want to do this! I want to view enduring to the end as moving forward with strength, as I use my endurance to win the race.

I really appreciated her insight on this. It is a tender mercy to continue to learn new things.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I liked that info too - jotted it down in my scriptures. Much better for the Spirit to see yourself forging forward instead of picturing yourself cringing as life overwhelms.

Good stuff.

Mary said...

I'm so glad you retaught me from Jennifer's great talk. I was a bit too flustered to take it all in. Thanks for the reminder.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...