Monday, January 12, 2009

My friend Mary

I just have to tell the world how amazing my friend Mary is. She is kind, organized, a wonderful mother, and I want to be just like her when I grow up. Sometimes I am in awe because she is living the life that I always imagined for myself. We have been married the same amount of time, we basically have the same wedding ring, she has 4 amazing children, they take piano and practice as a chore (because they don't live on a farm) and we have a lot of the same parenting philosophies (she says on her blog that The Power of Positive Parenting by Dr. Glenn Latham is one of her favorite books - and I call it my green bible). I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture!

She was the secretary in the Primary Presidency until Sunday, when she was called to be the Relief Society President. I know exactly why she was put there, because she is a rock star (as Darci would say) and she will be amazing. I am really sad, though, because I feel like she is irreplaceable.

She is the glue that holds our presidency together. Mary, in her gentle way, would remind us of what we needed to do. She was my rock in suggesting ways to handle difficult suggestions. What will I do without her?

I know we will remain friends, but it will not be the same without a weekly meeting. Thankfully, Greg and I sit in front of Mary and her family at church. I will still get to soak up her spirit on a regular basis.

Good luck to you!

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

Amen - as I get to know Mary better, I need to add her to my list of people I want to be when I grow up. Isn't she remarkable? So peaceful and gentle and so calmly & completely full of faith. Makes me happy to be a member of Relief Society! :)

And I'm sorry you've lost her as a presidency member! But your loss is definitely RS's gain! :)

Kelly said...

I was just telling Jared on Sunday that she's one of those ladies that just ooze, I mean, exude the gospel. She really is amazing! Good luck finding her replacement!

Renee said...

Sad for you but yeah for us! We are thrilled to have her! She is wonderful and will do great...maybe you will be put in RS next?? It could happen, right?

Mary said...

I thought my crying was over for a while. Reading your blog and the other kind comments convinced me I was wrong. I will be pouting during our regular meeting times becuase having the chance to rub shoulders with you has blessed my life forever. I am completely overwhelmed at the kindness I've recieved from the women in this ward. Thank you, Heather, for being such a true friend.

Angie said...

Hi Heather, I was blog hopping on all our friends blogs that we miss so much and found your blog! It sounds like so much is changing in the ward. Your blog is great, and I feel like I'm sitting next to you having a little chat. Take care.

Hansen said...

How fun to see your blog! I received a comment from you on mine and decided to come find yours! I love Mary and you, you both are incredible women and always go above and beyond in your demanding callings. What a sweet tribute you wrote!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...