Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The urge to hide

One of the Institute courses I took in grad school was on the Pearl of Great Price and it was taught by S. Michael Wilcox. My friend Gwen and I are currently taking an adult Institute class from him (interesting side note - this class is sponsored by my mom's stake, and we meet in her chapel), and we make it a point to go to his classes at Ed Week and Women's Conference. The point of this background is that I lived a principle this week that I have heard him teach many times, and it is interesting how it has impacted me.

The book of Moses in the PGP is Joseph Smith's inspired translation of parts of the book of Genesis. Among other things, it contains the creation story. After Adam and Eve partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, they make fig leaf aprons and hide when they hear God's voice. I remember Bro Wilcox saying in a sing-song voice, "Adam. Adam. Come out, come out wherever you are!" and then talking about how silly that image is because of course Heavenly Father knew exactly where Adam and Eve were. Adam and Eve tried to cover their nakedness (e.g. sins and transgressions) by making fig-leaf aprons. God offers Adam and Eve and every single one of us something better to cover our sins. He offers His son, and through the atonement we are covered. The failing of the natural man is that we try to cover our sins (lies, mistakes, rationalizations, excuses) ourselves by constructing our own fig-leaf aprons.

This week I let down some people who were counting on me when I forgot to do something that I had promised to do. In the grand scheme of things it probably does not matter much, and it can be fixed. But when I realized what I had done, my first thought was to hide. I did not want anyone to know that I had made a mistake. I wanted to hide my forgetfulness, and I thought of many rationalizations and excuses. And then into my mind came Bro Wilcox's voice saying, "Heather. Heather. Come out, come out wherever you are." I knew that I was sewing my own fig-leaf apron right there and that was even more wrong than my initial mistake.

It was interesting to apply this image to my life in such a poignant way. I am grateful that I can fix things. It is a tender mercy to know that the Savior covers me, indeed covers every single person, through His atonement.

7 comments:

Amy said...

You are definitely not hiding by putting this entry on the internet where everyone can see it. Good for you.

Guess who's going to be on the other side of the world in two months? That's right - YOU!

HappyCamper said...

O Heather, how I cherish your humility and great desires to do good. What a superb example you are for me. Thanks for teaching me!

Angie said...

Bro. Wilcox was in our stake presidency in Draper before we moved to Lehi. We loved when he came to speak in our ward!! He is an amazing teacher!!! What a great oppurnity to get to take a class with him.

Magson said...

Considering that S. Michael Wilcox is a counselor in your mom's stake presidency, is it really that unusual to think that her stake might be sponsoring it and that he'd want it to be held at a place close to where he lives? ;-)

Sounds like a neat class.

Kathryn said...

So...

how many fig-leaf aprons can one put on exactly? I mean, before we fall over from the weight...

Well said. Great imagery. Great teaching moment. Great reminder for me.

Thanks.

Renee said...

Your insight always amazes me! How lucky our children are to be led by such a wonderful gal like you! Thanks for always posting great thoughts...they brighten my day!

Rachelle said...

Thanks for sharing that. You are amazing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...