Saturday, May 23, 2009

Best. Surprise. Ever!

This is what our yard looked like when we came home tonight. This is now, officially, the best day of my life!

I got a weird phone call late afternoon from my sister-in-law Staci. She asked me what my plans were for the night, and so I told her I had mother/daughter book club. She asked what time it started, and then made up some excuse like, "we will have to hang out some other time." Then, a few minutes later, she called me back and said that she knew it sounded really weird, but that I needed to trust her, and that I needed to leave the house, and that she had called Greg and he was coming home from a basketball tournament in Ogden to meet me in an hour.

Instantly, I was bewildered. What kind of a crazy request was that? Why would Greg need to drive all the way back from Ogden? But, like the obedient girl that I am, I left the house and went to my mom's house. Those who know me know how little I like surprises. I always like to pick my own gifts. I can't hardly stand it if I do not know what is going on. So, this was driving me crazy! I could not figure out what could possibly be happening. I instantly thought it must have something to do with a baby, but I could not figure out how Staci could possibly be connected with Tayler. Then, since Staci is a Relief Society President in her ward, I started conjecturing that she found us a baby. But that did not feel right, either. I finally decided I only had to wait an hour or so, so I would simply try not to think about it (that did not really work, but at least I had a plan!).

When Greg got to Draper he called me and I met him on the road, where I followed him home. As soon as we turned on our street, I saw a lots of people standing in the road, and lots of pink balloons floating in our yard.
Then I saw Tayler's sign, and I almost started hyperventilating - and then the tears started flowing. Was this really happening to us?

The next thing I realized was that people were cheering - everyone from Tayler's case worker to our good neighbors Pam & Doug and Jason & Jennifer to Greg's parents and some of his siblings & their families. Greg and I each got out of our cars and looked at each other, and then we were bombarded with people hugging us. I couldn't stop crying.

And then Staci's weirdness made sense, and it was all good, because this was truly the best surprise ever!

And it got even better. Margaret (Tayler's case worker) gave us a letter that Tayler had written (in her own handwriting, on Hello Kitty notepaper) that said she wanted us to raise her baby.
My heart is so full right now. I wish tomorrow was Wednesday, because that is when we get to meet Tayler for the first time. I am counting down the hours!

17 comments:

Amy said...

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! This does nothing to truly describe my joy for you - WOO-HOO!!!!!!

Julie M said...

Heather I am SO HAPPY for you...I'm sitting here bawling just thinking what an amazing day that was for you yesterday! To come home and see those balloons and sign must've been just incredible!!!!! There will be no better mom on the planet than you!!!

Sarah Lynn Russell said...

WOW!!!!!!! That is incredible!!
I am just so overjoyed for you!

Renee said...

I am in tears! I am so thrilled for you...what a lucky baby!

Angie said...

Heather and Greg congratulations!!! We are so happy for you. I can't think of a better couple to choose! You guys are just amazing and will be great parents!!

Natalie said...

Congratulations, Heather!!! Yay! You are going to be such a great mom! What a lucky kid!!

Rachelle said...

Congrats!! What a blessing for this baby to come to you and Greg. This news made my whole day!!

Tiff said...

Yippeeee....!!!! I am sitting here bawling with perma-grin on my face!! I can't even tell you how happy I am for you guys! That little girl is going to be the luckiest kid in the world to have you guys for parents!!! I want more details soon!!! All of our love!!

Mary said...

That is the best news I've heard in... well, maybe forever. We are all so excited for you! I agree with Renee - that is one lucky baby!

Spencer family said...

Congrats to both of you. That is so awesome. Do you feel like you are in a Mastercard commercial yet? Homestudy: $1500, professional photos: $150, Nursery: $300. Finding out you'll soon be parents: Priceless!

Life's Journey said...

WOW!! I am extremely happy and excited for you guys, it would've been neat to have been there with the rest cheering for you, and seeing your excitement. I just can't tell you how happy I am for you guys. I wish you both the best in your new and wonderful beginning to the next chapter in your "Life's Journey". These are the Tender Mercies that we most definately get to look forward to in life. :)
Happy Days
P.s Can't wait for more pictures and updates. :)

Laurieann said...

YEAH!!! YEAH!! YEAH! You're the best my love! You totally deserve this - wink wink nudge nudge. My heart is going to burst for happiness for you!

The Burninghams said...

We are all so so so so excited for you!! You will make such a great mother. Heck you are already a mother to way to many kids. All the primary kids love you!

The Gardner Family said...

Wow!! The perfect surprise! This also shows just how much everyone loves you guys! Your friends and family sure knew the perfect way to announce it to you! You are so loved and deserve the very best! Congratulations! (I also can't wait for more details!)

Kathryn said...

Joy. Pure joy. That is what I'm feeling for you & Greg, your family, for Tayler, for your baby - joy.

Beth said...

I have not been able to stop thinking about you since you told me, and smiling!!!!

Your post just made me cry (again and again).

I can't tell you have happy I am feeling for you right now

Maybe you will start liking surprises now.

It's A Wonderful Life said...

Congrats to the both of you. You will make such great parents. We are so happy to hear of your news!!

The Lintons

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...