Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Face-to-face meeting

Today was awesome! Greg and I were able to meet with Tayler and her parents for the first time. She is a beautiful young woman! She is also the teeniest little thing - so petite - as you can see in this picture. I thought my sister Bobi was petite, but she probably is at least an inch taller than Tayler...

I was a little anxious going in to the meeting, mostly because I hoped Tayler would be comfortable with us, and we would be able to have a good conversation. I think overall it went really well!

When we first walked in the room where Tayler was waiting with her parents, I just went right to her and gave her the biggest hug and started crying. I promised myself ahead of time I would not cry - but what are you going to do? I got it under control quickly, though, and did not cry again. Tayler's case worker Margaret was there, as well as Hayley (representing our case worker Adrienne, who is on vacation in Europe). So we had a full room!

I had to know first thing how Tayler has felt during her pregnancy. She said that at the beginning she was really sick, but that now she is feeling great, and just wants to eat all of the time.

Then Margaret stepped in and helped moderate the conversation. This was great because she knows the kinds of things Tayler is concerned about, and she knows the things Greg and I wanted to know about. We talked about everything from how Greg and I met, to our first date, to their dogs (2 chocolate labs), to our plans to get a lab puppy soon, to how Tayler was as a baby, to her favorite foods, to her love of turtles, to what books we have read lately, to her siblings (a brother and a sister), to what Tayler wants as far as openness after placement, to how she came to find us and pick us to parent her baby. We talked about her birthday (August 6, and her due date is August 5) and her plans for school. We covered a lot - but there is so much more to know!

We were together just over an hour, and the time flew by! Before I knew it, Margaret was wrapping things up and we were taking pictures. I cannot wait until we can get together again and learn even more about Tayler and her family.


On the way home, we stopped at Babies 'R' Us and wandered around and looked at all of the baby products. I could not resist, and we bought some adorable pink outfits, and some baby blankets, and an amazing stuffed turtle. My plan for the nursery is to paint the walls some kind of sage green, and to do everything in sage green, pink, and brown, with accents of - you guessed it - turtles.

So, that is the update for an amazing day. It feels real to me now. It feels like we will actually welcome a baby to our home in approximately 2 months. Words cannot really express how I feel right now. We have been married almost 15 years, and have been actively striving to add children to our family for over 12 years. We have had a good life together, and I cannot wait to see how much better it will be!

14 comments:

Kathryn said...

As an adopted child, this is such a precious journey to read! The openness & excitement you all share touches my heart so deeply. I can't imagine a better family for this sweet baby! "Congratulations" is too insignificant a word, but..

CONGRATS!! :)

Renee said...

I thought about you all day...I am so glad that it went well! I cannot wait to meet your new addition and I want you to know that we are throwing you one HUGE party when you are ready! Keep buying pink...but leave something for us to buy you too!!!!!!

Kelly said...

I am so excited for you guys - wow, is that so understated! I'm sure Tayler just loved you both; what a blessed little baby to get to come to your family!

Mary said...

Taylor is such a poised and beautiful young woman. I am glad you all had such a good visit. And those new clothes and nursery plans are so, so cute.

Natalie said...

Cute pictures! I'm so happy for you, Heather! Turtles are pretty darn awesome, and killer color choices for a nursery!

The Gardner Family said...

It was so great to see you tonight with the mommy glow!! It was wonderful to hear your stories! I love the pictures with Tayler and her family. What a special young woman.

brionesjm said...

What an amazing girl, and such a gift she is. I am so happy for you. I will continue to pray for you, your family and Tayler.
How amazing!
Janet

Bobi said...

I'm so glad that the first meeting went so well. We are excited and happy for you! I look forward to getting to know Tayler more through your visits with her. The gift she is giving you is so wonderful. She must be an amazing young woman. Thanks for sharing!

utahtripletfamily said...

Heather, I am just about in tears reading your stories! I'm so ridiculously happy for you guys!
You will be the most amazing parents ever!
Congratulations!
PS My kids were born on August 6th...so you've got a very lucky day ahead of you!

Magson said...

I'm glad to hear the meeting went well too.

Julie M said...

Heather, I am so glad your meeting with Tayler went so well...I was saying prayers for you all day yesterday. She looks like such a sweet girl and I think you and Greg are truly the answer to her prayers. How comforted she must be to know that her baby will be raised by such loving and righteous parents.

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad your meeting went so well. We are so happy for you (and are so glad our kids will be in school together--although I'm still crossing my fingers that your girl is just a really shy little boy in the ultrasound...JK) I echo Renee's comment -- get ready for a huge party!

The Marsing's said...

Congrats! We are so excited for you guys. This couldn't happen to two better people

Julie said...

I'm so glad I found your blog in way of Kandice's blog. Congratulations! You are an amazing person with an incredible amount of patience among many other wonderful characteristics. Best of Luck to you as you prepare for this precious child to enter into your lives and hearts. I'm so happy for you two.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...