Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Gotcha Girl and other highlights of the week

I love hanging out with my friend Amy/Emily and her children. To them - or maybe just the oldest, Joshie - I am the Gotcha Girl, AKA Helen/Heather. Frankly, I am not sure her children know what to call me!

The GG nickname started when Amy's twins, Zach and Nate were toddlers, and they were living in her mom's basement while Cliff built them a house, literally with his own two hands. Amy's mom lives basically across a field from us, so I would go over once a week or so to help wrestle the twins and hang out.

One time, Amy was telling me a story, and after every point, I would say "gotcha." We did not think Joshie was paying attention, when all of a sudden he burst out with "gotcha, gotcha, gotcha!" It became a joke, and now every time I see him, we make sure to say "gotcha" a lot.

Amy just introduced the newest member of her family, little Cami. Amy finally got another girl in the family - she has been waiting and waiting! I went over to meet her and hang out for a while. Cami looks a lot like Joshie did as a baby, which totally takes me back. It was fun to see her and hang out. The twins do not really remember me, since we usually hang out just as adults. Sadly, Josh was at school, do I did not get to see him.

When I first got to Amy's house, she was in the basement doing something, and did not hear the doorbell ring. The twins are 5ish now, and I could hear them trying to let me in. It seemed to take a while, but then all of a sudden, the door was open, and they let me right in when I asked if their mom was home. We spent a few minutes talking in the foyer before Amy came back from the basement. Amy had put a child lock thingie on the front door, but the twins were motivated to let me in, and figured out how to open the door with it. Oops. So much for that plan!

Zach and Nathan wore their sunglasses pretty much the whole time I was there. They are apparently obsessed with Bono and U2 and even sang me some of their songs. Pretty funny! I also love the brotherly love they are expressing in the above picture. Are they trying to hug each other, or strangle each other?
Their cousin Addie May came over to play, and she wanted in on our impromptu photo shoot. I could not resist them doing Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, and See No Evil. Willing models!

Last week I was also able to go with Tanya and Dave and Andrew to see the new house that they are buying. I am so excited for them to make this step! It is a great house - feels very roomy and open. I was able to entertain Andrew while Tanya and Dave signed papers with the realtor. Bobo is too darn cute for words. He is a funny boy! He is starting to talk now, and he will count 1-2-3 and say chop-chop.

I also got to babysit Andrew Monday morning for a few hours. I had a headache, but I didn't care when he got there. He is so snuggly in the morning. We played with the baby doll (he likes to feed it because it makes slurping sounds) and with the car (which revs like a race car when you shake it) and the piano (he loves the sound effects, and to dance to the songs). It was fun! I always like it when Greg's mom is gone or unavailable on Monday mornings, because then I get to take her turn to babysit.

The highlights of my week all include children! Go figure.

I also started the summer semester, and I seem to have a great crop of students. We have already had some good discussions and good questions. Work is boring without Beth, though - she is not on campus this summer...

I have been saving the best for last: the ultimate highlight of the week was getting a phone call from our case worker to set up a face-to-face meeting with a birth mom next week. This does not necessarily mean that she will pick us, but it is a step in her decision-making process. Your prayers are working miracles in our behalf! Please keep praying for us.

9 comments:

Renee said...

Our thoughts will be with you as you prepare for your fun lunch date next week! You will be just fantastic! Hang in there! P.S. I love the "Gotcha Girl" nickname - that one just might stick!

Bobi said...

Sounds like a great week, especially as you have had opportunities to interact with children. And, yeah for the appointment! We'll continue praying for you.

XO

The Gardner Family said...

Sorry--I had to skim through this whole blog to see if there would be any adoption news! I was very excited to read that last paragraph! You are in my thoughts and prayers always! Ok--now I'll go back and read the rest. The pictures are great--what cute kids you get to hang out with!! :) See you soon!

Kathryn said...

OH! A face-to-face! We'll be praying for you!! :)

Julie M said...

Okay so how do you know Amy? I worked with her and her mom several years ago and was so surprised to see her kids show up on your blog. :) What a small world it is...especially here in Utah. Her new little girl is beautiful...thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

Heather said...

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and prayers! I will keep you updated.

Life's Journey said...

Crossing my fingers and still praying for you. Hopefully things will soon work out for you. Glad you get to spend so much time with all those little guys. Kids are simply the best. Hope you are all doing well.

Jonette said...

Thanks for all of the updates on Amy and Elizabeth's new additions. We are most excited to hear your great news! Our prayers are continually with you. Keep us posted! Love ya and miss ya TONS!

Sarah Lynn Russell said...

Big Prayers! I love you guys!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...