Sunday, September 27, 2009

Catching Up

This week has reminded me of how many things I am grateful for, and the daily evidence of tender mercies in my life. At Book Club on Wednesday, Erin told us of the tragedy facing her family that she had just found out about -- her 21-year-old nephew had been hit by a drunk driver and was in critical condition. Then she found out that even if he lived, he would have to live out the rest of his life in a nursing home-type facility. And then on Thursday she emailed us all and said that she was heading down to New Mexico because he was being taken off of life support and would not make it much longer. This really hit home to me that we never know how long we have, and it is important to soak up every minute of life. I think we all know this, but it takes events like this to remind us. My thoughts and prayers have been with Erin and her family the last few days as they are facing this difficult time.

Greg has been out of town for the first time since Ellie was born. It was fun to hold Ellie as much as I wanted, and not have to share her with him. And yet, I really missed him - and it seemed like Ellie did as well. I was able to get all of the basic things done with him gone, but there was no time for extras (like blogging). As soon as I thought I had a minute after a shower or doing the dishes or switching the laundry, Ellie would wake up and we would play again. So, as fun as it was, I do not want to be a single mom. Greg is back now and has not really put Ellie down since he walked through the door. She is all snuggled up with him in the rocker and they both look pretty content.

I try not to have anxiety, because I know I cannot control things like drunk drivers and airplane crashes. But it is nice to have him home safe and sound.

Our beautiful and nice neighbors have finally made it home from Florida with the newest addition to their family. Ellie and I went over on Thursday to visit Hope. These adorable and sweet girls are about 5 weeks apart in age, and live next door to each other. They are destined to be best friends! Hope was 3 weeks early, and weighs about 6 pounds-ish now. Ellie is about 9 pounds. In person, Ellie seemed to dwarf Hope, but it is not so pronounced in this picture. Maybe only because Ellie is kicking her legs!

Tayler and her family came over yesterday to catch up and visit with Ellie. Poor Greg missed their visit (for the second time in a row). Tayler was excited to push Ellie in the stroller, so we took a little walk through the neighborhood. Tayler has a namesake in our neighborhood, and that Taylor was outside playing. It seemed like destiny that they meet! They have the same name, and their birthdays are only 6 days (and 7 years) apart .

After Tayler left, I went up to my mom's house to have Book Club and watch the Relief Society broadcast with Mom, Bobi, and Teri. It was nice to get together and get caught up. I managed to capture Ellie making a couple of funny faces!


5 comments:

The Gardner Family said...

Great post! Glad that Greg is home safe and sound. And that little girl just keeps getting cuter and cuter!

Kelly said...

I'm so glad Tayler could come over, and that Greg is back! I have a totally corny sign hanging above our bed that says "Together is a wonderful place to be." How fun for Ellie to have a little friend next door!

Kathryn said...

What a heartbreak for your friend & her family! I understand your feelings as Greg went out of town, especially with your friend's sad news. Russell will be traveling this week & I'm sure I'll carry a bit of nerves around with me the whole time.

And, as always, Ellie is DARLING!!

Traci said...

Glad to hear that Greg made it home. And you are right, it isn't fun being a single parent, even for a few days.

Beth said...

I am so sorry for your friend.

Great perspective in your post. I also don't know what I would do without Gabe being a parent with me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...