Friday, September 18, 2009

Snooze Button

From the very beginning of our marriage, Greg and I have never agreed on the true purpose of alarm clocks. To me, sleep is very precious, and I want to stay in a deep sleep for as long as possible. So I always calculate the exact minute that I need to get up, and when my alarm clock goes off, I roll out of bed and in to the bathroom to get ready for the day. To Greg, he likes to wake up gradually, and will set his alarm clock earlier than he needs to, so he can hit snooze for a while before actually getting out of bed.

It used to really bug me (when I would wake up with Greg's alarm clock) because I woke up earlier than I wanted to. But, I have converted to his way of thinking a little bit, and sometimes find myself snoozing my alarm. And, he has converted to my way a little, and sometimes just sets his alarm for the time he needs to get up.

I was thinking about this the other night during a 5 a.m. feeding, that maybe my sleep style has been preparing me to get up with a baby in the middle of the night. When Ellie has a real need for food or a diaper change in the middle of the night, there is no snooze button that I can hit. I just roll out of bed and take care of her.

On Wednesday night, we tried Ellie out in her crib for the first time. I was a little worried that I would not hear her when she needed me (even though she is only a few feet farther away in the next room). I should not have worried! I definitely heard her when she was ready to eat. And, I did not hear her when she made her little grunts and squeaks (that she makes all of the time when she is sleeping [and I really should not be so parenthetical]) so I got a great night's sleep.
It is so fun to dress Ellie in the little outfits that she has received for presents. This cute pink dress came from Ilene. It is a Newborn size, and still fits great. I can see now why people say that dresses are the best, because babies can wear them a long time! I love this picture, because Greg set Ellie in the corner of the couch (for the first time ever), and she promptly slid right down...

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am a snoozer myself -- sometimes pushing it for an hour. But since Russ sleeps through my alarm, my hairdryer, and a crying baby, I don't feel too bad about it (and I only set an alarm on Sundays these days anyway). However, Russ DOES set an alarm, and when it goes off while I'm still sleeping (which it rarely does anymore), I get to hit him repeatedly until he pushes snooze. And the pattern repeats at least 4 or 5 times...

Laurieann said...

add the snooze thing to freaky the freaky commonality list. 'cept I have stubbornly stuck to my ways and my hubs to his. thank heavens I'm usually up first.

Renee said...

That is one might large flower! My father-in-law makes fun of the flowers I put on Summer, he says I am trying to attract the bees! Too cute! No snooze button necessary at our house, if it is not one child waking me up it is another...my kids are my repeat alarm!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...