Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Catching Up


I love having busy weeks, except for the fact that then it is hard to catch everything up!  Ellie is finally big enough that I put together her jumper-thing this week, and she loves it!  She is fascinated with the toys, and loves the musical piano.  The keys light up, and she tries to catch them, and just stares and coos at them.  Yesterday, which was the 3rd or 4th time I had her in it, she really started to figure out how to jump herself up and down (on purpose).  It is so much fun to watch her learning curve, and watch Ellie figure things out.

Poor Ellie has rubbed off all of the hair on the back of her head.  I stole the idea for this picture from my friend Beth's blog.

Saturday morning, my sister-in-law had a baby girl!  I still have not heard what the name is, but here is a picture of this beautiful little baby.

Last Saturday night I was able to go the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas Concert with my mom and grandma.  Our beautiful friend Emily came over to play with Ellie.  Grandma is so fun and spry!  We had to walk about 3 blocks from the parking garage to the Conference Center, and it did not seem to be a problem.  As long as she had an arm to hold on to for balance, the rest was fine.  The concert was wonderful, like always.  I just had to get over my annoyance at the lady I was sitting next to.  She basically talked with her daughter the entire concert.  When the Choir was singing "For Unto Us A Child Is Born" from Messiah, she was singing along - loudly.  My first thought at that point was that I did not pay to hear her sing.  And then the irony hit me that the concert was free (although nothing is truly free, right?  Not according to my favorite slogan, TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch).  The people in the rows ahead were even turning around to look.  I finally shushed her, and then felt stupid (since she was waaaay older than me). 


So once I got over the annoyance, I really got in to the spirit of the evening.  Good company and good music make a perfect combination!  You can see from these pictures what amazing seats we had.  I have never been that close to the stage before.

Ellie is trying so hard to sit up on her own.  I propped her up in the chair on Sunday so that I could make her a bottle, and she promptly tried to pull herself up.  After her bottle, she was a little sleepy, and snuggled right in to Greg and watched football with him.  He is training her early!

Sunday night was the Spencer's Annual Christmas Party.  I look forward to it every year because we have such a good time getting together.  Uncle Glenn and the boys were teasing each other, and people got some good lines in.  We do a gift exchange game every year, where you can choose to pick a new present or steal someone else's present.  It is interesting to see what the hot gifts are every year.  For the first time ever, all of our gifts (and we got to bring, count em, THREE gifts this year) were stolen the maximum number of allowable times.  That makes me feel good.

Dave and Gwen brought as one of their gifts a used roping rope.  Kent was the lucky one who opened that, after one of his gifts had been stolen.  Once you get a "bad" gift, you know you are stuck with it.  Daniel was the lucky one with the last number (34 this year), so he got a free pick of every single present.  Without hesitation, he walked right over and snagged that rope.  He had patiently been waiting and eyeballing the entire time!  As Greg's mom always says, he may be retarded, but he is not stupid...  That was my favorite part of the night!


Ellie was a big hit, like always!  Jace held her for quite a while.  Rachel has watched Ellie the most for me on Monday afternoons when I go to the U, and Jace loves to monopolize Ellie when she is there.  He is 12 and so responsible and good with her.  You can tell that Ellie recognizes him, because she goes right to him and is content to sit and play with him.  Ellie is getting old enough to start to cry when "strangers" hold her.  She cried for Staci, Danette, Grandpa, and Tammy,  but not for Jace!

 


2 comments:

Rachelle said...

AHH! Her first Christmas!! How great for you guys! Are you going to be around, I'd love to do lunch!

Kelly said...

How fun! I love how enchanted you are with your daughter---she makes everything new and special for you.You have so many wonderful "firsts" still to come,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...