Monday, February 22, 2010

Blessing and Bishop

Yesterday marked another momentous day for our family.  We started the morning eating breakfast with Pops and Nana, and our friend Jeff, enjoying our last peaceful Sunday morning for at least 5 years (although no one knew that except Greg and I).  After breakfast we finished getting ready for church, including getting Ellie dressed in her beautiful white dress again.
Then we went to church where we had 2 wonderful baby blessings.  My brother Jon was able to bless his baby Gwen, and then Greg blessed Ellie.  Unfortunately, the microphone was not working and kept on fuzzing in and out, so the people in the back could not hear.  So many people came to support us, and I felt badly that they missed out.  We are so appreciative of the efforts expended!

After the blessings, one of the counselors in the Stake Presidency got up, released Greg and our friend Merrill from the high council, and the entire Bishopric.

And then came the surprising part.

Greg was called as the Bishop of our ward.

Will you still be our friends?

We have known for two weeks now, and it has been a hard secret to keep (especially for me, the non-secret keeper).  We were both shocked when we first heard, and it has been an interesting transition to think about this new opportunity.  The Stake President called us in on February 7, and we talked about Ellie.  Greg mentioned that we were going to the temple soon to have her sealed to us, and then we would bless her on the 21st.  And then, without any preamble, President said, "Well, we would like to do something else on the 21st.  We would like to call you as the Bishop of your ward.  Do you have any questions?"

After we both fell on the floor (hypothetically), we spent over an hour getting counsel and direction.  And then we came home and just stared at each other. 

Then, that Tuesday I had my Primary presidency meeting, and Nina and Darci started reminiscing and telling Julie about what happened a year ago when Mary was called as the Relief Society President.  Mary and I both knew and were trying not to cry at the thought that it was our last meeting together, and we never let on to Nina and Darci.  Nina said, "What was up with that?" and I said, "We couldn't tell" and Darci said, "Where do your loyalties lie?"  I just kept on thinking, if only you knew what I know THIS time...

On Saturday, Julie called to tell me that she had been bumped from the program (she was supposed to speak with her son and her husband on eternal families).  I made an excuse about how it was probably because my brother was also blessing his daughter and that would take some extra time.  These are just 2 examples of how hard it was to not let on that we knew what was going on!

So after the sustainings, Greg went to sit on the stand with Merrill and Mark, and everyone that was sitting around me just gave me all sorts of incredulous looks.  We had decided not to tell anyone since everyone would be there anyway, and the only ones who knew were Greg's parents.  It was fun to see the surprised looks at the announcement!  Our Bishop and his wife were able to bear their testimonies, and then Merrill, Greg, Mark, and the Stake President bore their testimonies.  And Nick, our youth speaker, gave his talk and the meeting was over.

We are both overwhelmed already at the love and support the ward members are showing to us.  This is the start of what should be a few interesting years!

After church, Greg stayed to meet with his new counselors and our Bishop, and Dad, Pat, Bobi et al, Jon et al, Uncle Bob, Aunt Sharon and I came to our house to have dinner.  Pops and Pat made an excellent taco salad bar with fresh pico de gallo and cilantro and all the fixings, and a delicious fruit salad.  Greg finally got home around 7:30 and ate, and then we headed to his parent's house to spend some time with Kyle and Jonette before they went home.

This has been a full and special weekend.  How often do you get to go to the temple to be sealed, and have a baby blessing, and get called as the Bishop, all at once?

9 comments:

Angie said...

All I can say is WOW, Heather! You guys have had such a big year and Greg will be such a great bishop. I'm so happy for you all.

Beth said...

That is one tough secret to keep!

Good luck you two with your callings and your busy baby girl!

Renee said...

I was totally caught off guard by the timing but was not at all surprised by the choice! I know that Greg will be fantastic to work with. Tyler is extremely excited to work with him! Not that you can spill the beans, but what does that mean they will do with you???? Guess I will have to wait and see! :) We love and support you both and can't wait to see Greg up on the stand next week as "Bishop"!

The Gardner Family said...

I have been anxiously waiting to read this post. I can't wait to talk to you more tomorrow! I was wondering if Greg's parents even knew. ;) That was nice of you to tell them at least! What a great weekend! You guys are truly amazing!

Laurieann said...

Right. Because we needed ANOTHER thing in common? Oh. My. Goodness!

I think you need to pay closer attention to big things happening to me considering they will be happening to you within a very short time-frame.

Yes. That's right. I can even make Greg becoming bishop all about me. :)

jennifer said...

Congrats! What an exciting weekend! Ellie is just beautiful! We'll definitely have to be on our best behavior now!

Mary said...

I have been waiting and waiting for this blog post to hear all the details. Bishop Spencer will do a great job. So will his wife.

Elizabeth said...

So I've been thinking long and hard about the question you asked in this post. Yes, I think we can still be friends with Bishop Spencer and his wife. However, I'm not sure we can be friends with the Primary President...so you may need to do something about that :) Good luck with this new adventure -- we are excited to have Greg as our bishop!

Carrie said...

Wow! Congratulations, or my condolences... either way - good luck!! When are you getting Ellie sealed to you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...