Monday, February 8, 2010

Court

This morning was special.  We went to court to have Ellie officially and legally become our daughter.  It is interesting, because I don't feel any different now that it is over.  Ellie could not be more ours and could not fit in our family better, just because we signed a piece of paper.

I bought Ellie's "going-to-court" dress to match a headband that Tayler gave her.  I wanted a part of Tayler to be with us today.  This would not have happened without her!

It was also interesting the questions we were asked.  The ones that stand out were "Do you consent to adopt Ellie?  And do you consent for your husband to adopt Ellie?" and Greg had to answer that about me as well.  We also had to state for the record our feelings about Ellie and about this adoption.  I, of course, choked up, and our case worker Adrienne told me that was why there were tissues on the table.  It was hard to express how much love and gratitude I feel about Ellie and Tayler and adoption in general.

Greg held Ellie through most of the proceedings, and I could not help but hold her hand or her leg.  Ellie did her normal "bucking bronco" routine and just looked around and everything and everyone.  When it came time for us to sign the papers, she really wanted to sign as well!  She grabbed for the pen and got really excited that an almost-toy was coming in her view...

We spent about 16 minutes in the courtroom, and then the judge came down for pictures, and we took some pictures in the hall, and we went down and filed the papers with the clerk, and then went out for breakfast.  Ellie was so worn out from all of the excitement that she slept almost all of the way through the meal.

13 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YEAH!!!!! Congratulations! Ellie looks beautiful -- what an amazing year it's been!

Amy Conklin said...

Congratulations to the cutest family - EVER!

Natalie said...

Wow!! Congrats! I am so very excited for you. You 3 make the perfect family!

gadgetjunkie said...

Congrats, she is now all yours!!! Doesn't it feel great!!
Her dress and sweeter are pretty.

Kelly said...

Congrats Ellie, on adopting such great parents! What a happy day!

Magson said...

Congrats sis!

The Gardner Family said...

Yeah!! Happy happy day! Congratulations!!

Tim & Tash said...

Congrats! I'm sure you are excited to have that done. She's such a cute little girl.

JoAnn said...

Heather I'm so excited for the three of you! You all make such a handsome family. Congratulations and enjoy!

DJ Stauffer said...

I loved this post!! Oh...and by the way...how tall IS your hubby?

DJ (Kandice's Sister)

Rachelle said...

YAHOO!!!!

Kathryn said...

AWESOME day!! My adoption day is July 18th. I still get an email or card from my mom & dad. It will always be a special day (even though she's been yours since the day she was born, right?)

Can't wait for the sealing day!! :)

utefanzz2005 said...

That's awesome!!! I saw Greg at a game the other night and afterwards wished I would have asked. You can tell he is thrilled to be a dad!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...