Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life

I am sitting here, overly emotional, thinking about Tayler and birth moms everywhere.  I just read My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life by Julie Wright, and I cried all the way through it.  It's not that the book was exceptionally well-written or well-edited (Jane Austen was spelled Jane Austin), but the author powerfully depicted the struggle of a young woman deciding what course to take in regards to her unborn child.

I have done research on birth moms and their choices, and I have read books, and I have attended classes, but for some reason this book resonated with me tonight, in a way that I have not experienced before.

Birth moms are amazing and unselfish and far-sighted.  Their hard choices bless so many lives.

After I finished the book, I had to go and watch Ellie sleep.  She is so perfect and so beautiful, and I had to leave her room before my crying woke her up.  Adoption still seems like an unequal transaction to me.

Greg and I got everything - we got Ellie.

I love the lyrics from a song (Special to Me) on Baby Signing Time (Vol 2).  I sing this to Ellie all of the time.

Today will soon be over
Tomorrow will arrive
Right now I'm going to hold you
Until you close your eyes
Words can't always sum up
The feelings that I feel
So peaceful when you're sleeping
I know you'll hear me still

Singing, you are very special to me
And I am very special to you
I know this is where I am meant to be
I'm glad that my baby is you

Exactly what I wanted
Exactly who you are
I know we'll work together
And we will reach the stars
Families stick together
And family lasts forever
Forever, that's how long
I'll love you

Singing, you are very special to me
And I am very special to you
I know this is where I am meant to be
I'm glad that my baby is you

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for making me cry too! I'm so glad you have Ellie in your home! That IS where she is meant to be.

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing something so beautiful.

Kathryn said...

It IS the ultimate sacrifice and the ultimate blessing. Can you imagine the joy Tayler feels when she sees your sweet family? The love you have for Ellie? How happy Ellie is to be part of your family? That must bring her so much joy - even through the pain of her sacrifice.

Not sure I could get through the book (I'm such a sobber!), but I'm gonna put it on my list.

Jenny and Josh said...

And now I am crying!

Beth said...

Thanks for the tears! I love that Signing Time song. They have another one that she says "We did not find the easy, but we found the good". That is the motto I have on my private blog.

I am going to recommend this book to my sister (and I am going to read it too).

I am grateful each day of my life for the selfless choice of adoption.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...