Sunday, May 16, 2010

The joys of music

It is so fun for me to hang out with some of my favorite people every week and help them cultivate a love of music.  Aunt Jo takes Ellie for me, and E loves to play and play at their house.  (Except she has a weird fascination with Jacob.  She just stares at him - but she plays with everyone else!).  Yesterday was our annual recital, and we are done until at least September.  Jo and Ann are trying their best to talk me into continuing another year (and I probably will).

I was feeling very nostalgic yesterday while listening to everyone perform.  I have been a piano teacher since I was 16, and it is an integral part of my identity.  And yet, as much as I love it, I love being with Ellie more. For years, my piano kids were my surrogate children.  And even though I "kicked out" 75% of my studio after Ellie joined our family, I just couldn't bring myself to give it up entirely.

The nostalgia came in realizing that McKinzie, Zack, & Syreese, and Tyler, Sadie, & Madelin won't be coming over regularly for at least 3.5 months.  I have been teaching Kinz piano since she was in kindergarten, and she is in 9th grade now.  I have seen her almost every week for 10 years.  I can't go for 10 weeks without seeing her (and of course her brother and sister).  We are going to have to get together this summer just to hang out.

Jace and Cassie joined us for the recital, and Rachel has been teaching them well!  They had really fun songs to add to the mix. Since we are a small group, Ann and Kent graciously agreed to host the recital at their house.  It was a great day, and made even better because I handed out lots of gold cups.  That represents a lot of hard work at Festivals for the past 3 years for Cassie, Tyler, and Sadie, and 6 years of work for Zack.  Way to go!

5 comments:

Renee said...

Those kids are lucky to have you! :)

Kelly said...

You are such a great teacher. I would have never had the courage to start teaching if not for you. I love that you love your students so much. Think about how many lives you have influenced with your love of music. Way to go!

Traci said...

You've been teaching a long time. Way to go!!!

HappyCamper said...

Oh how we joy in your wonders and discoveries. What a precious family you are! Thanks for your constancy of keeping us informed of your comings and goings, your doings and discoveries. We love all 3 of you!

Amy Conklin said...

Heather - your legacy lives on. McKinzie is a great teacher, because she learned from the BEST!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...