Friday, July 30, 2010

"The Fourth Nephite"

I just finished an interesting book, The Fourth Nephite by Jeffrey S. Savage.  It reminded me of the Tennis Shoes series, in that there is time travel involved and a teenage protagonist. 

Kaleo Steele is a high school football player who gets busted by his seminary teacher holding a beer.  In return for not telling his parents, the seminary teacher sends Kaleo to talk to his friend Ladan.

Ladan, one of the 3 Nephites (although Kaleo does not know this), sends Kaleo back to Joseph Smith's day.  Kaleo has to decide for himself whether Joseph Smith was telling the truth or was a charlatan.

I enjoyed the story, which moved along at a good pace, and the quality of the writing, which included a lot of humorous moments.  The book is not "preachy" and I found myself just wondering when Kaleo would figure things out.  The only problem I had with the book was trying to figure out how to pronounce "Ladan."  Does it rhyme with Laman and Laban?  Is it a silly Utah name (think LaVell) and it is Lah-Dan?  Is it like Aladdin?  I stumbled over the name for a few pages and then just decided it rhymed with Laman.

The book comes out at the end of August, and I think it is worth reading.  Savage leaves it open for sequels, and I am excited to read them in the future!

1 comment:

Bobi said...

If the boook comes out the end of August, how did you rate to get an advance copy? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...