Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is it real if it is not documented?

Ellie and I like to listen to audiobooks while we are driving in the car.  For the past couple of months, we have been listening to the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld.  We are almost done with the last book - Extras - and there was a quote today that really struck me.  One of the characters, Aya, is obsessed with "kicking" good stories and becoming famous.  The most famous person in the world, Tally-wa, does not want to be filmed or reported on.  Tally tells Aya something to the effect that "something isn't less real just because it isn't caught on camera."

That got me thinking - do I live vicariously through my blogging?  Is something not real until it is blogged about?

Of course not!  Some things are to special or to personal to be put into cyberspace.  I do think of my blogs as my personal history, but it is definitely an edited history.  My friend Darci says that she has not started a blog because she would want to say things like, "My life sucks.  I hate my husband today.  I want to throw my kids off of the roof."  And then DCFS would ruin her life...  I feel like my blog is a real representation of my day-to-day life, but I definitely put my best foot forward!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now, for your viewing pleasure, an 8 second video of Ellie doing the cutest thing ever.  She "walks" on her knees.  She has been doing this for a long time now, and it never stops being cute!
P.S.  I never post all of my videos here (because I know most of you do not care to see all of the videos I post on Tayler's blog).  If you do happen to want to see more, go to youtube and search for hlslehi.  You will find all of the videos I have ever posted...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I always been horrible at keeping a journal and I was so thrilled when I was introduced to blogging! I agree with you, though, I still need a place to record trials & lessons learned or the occasional frustration that shouldn't be shared with everyone. And, I'm happy to know that sometimes Darci wants to toss her kids, too. Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one that feels that way sometimes!
Way to go, Ellie, on the walking! FYI, there are days when I push my shopping cart on my knees, too :)

Beth said...

Good insight.

Since the 'incident' of our family I have been very careful about what and how much I post, even on the private blog.

FYI: Look on my facebook to find a code that protects your pictures from being stolen off your blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...