Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baby Signing Time Testimonial Shoot

This morning I had a really interesting experience.  I shot a testimonial that will be in a Baby Signing Time infomercial.  How did I get roped in to this?  I am not quite sure myself!

It started with an email around Ellie's birthday that I responded to asking about my child and how much she signs.  I sent back a picture of Ellie and talked a little about our experiences with the DVDs.  Then, I heard nothing for a couple of months.  I got another email a couple of days after Lynlee was born, and I did not take the time to respond to it, so I thought that I would not be a contender.  But then I got a Flip video camera in the mail with instructions to film Ellie watching Baby Signing Time and signing.  This whole time, I thought Ellie would be the only one on video.  Even after the final emails came describing time and place of the in-person shoot, I thought it would be Ellie.

But it was me. 

I was scheduled to be the 2nd interview of the day, and I even told Greg, "it shouldn't take that long, because they can't have gotten behind yet."  I showed up at 9:45 (a little early for my 10:00 call time) and got pampered.  The wardrobe lady ironed the collar of my shirt, and then I got hair and make-up done.  Yes, make-up for me!  And then I kept on having my eyes redone because of the issues I was having.  One of the reasons I don't wear make-up is that my eyelashes are so long that mascara flakes off easily (when I blink, my eyelashes hit my cheeks).  I also have dry eyes, so I blink a lot - and with powder flying all over and mascara on I was blinking more than ever.  So the mascara kept on giving me raccoon eyes, which meant the make-up lady had to reapply powder.  It was quite an adventure.

The production did get behind....  The interview before me was a lady, and her mom came with her, so they interviewed the lady, and then the mom, and then the lady and mom together.   I was supposed to be on set on 10:45, and they didn't start me until 12:05.  While we were waiting around, the next interview and the next interview arrived, and we sat around chatting.  I got to meet Emilie de Azevedo Brown, who is the co-creator of the series.  It was interesting to talk to her and hear a little more about their company and their projects (they are coming out with Baby Signing Time board books!).

When it was my turn, I got miked up and talked with the director for about 25 minutes.  His last question to me was, "what would you say to Rachel if she were here?"  and I turned around, and Rachel was there!  She, along with other production staff, was sitting in a room watching all of the interviews, and she came out and finished it up.  It was a little crazy to see Ellie's "Chel" there (Ellie always asks to watch Chel - she leaves off the Ra).

After talking with Rachel for a couple of minutes, we took a picture on my phone (and sorry that Rachel has a boom sticking out of her head), and I came home.  My eyes were killing me on the drive, and I walked in the door and tried to wash off all of the make-up.  Now I know why people have a product called "eye make-up remover."  I, of course, do not own any, and it took about 10 minutes to try and remove all of the mascara with soap and water.

8 comments:

Julie M said...

This is such a COOL experience!!!! And by the way, you could've called me and I would've brought over some eye make up remover. :) Your eyes were probably burning even more from the soap!!! :)I'm sure Ellie LOVES the picture of Mommy and Chel!

Jonette said...

That is the coolest thing ever Heather! Way to go!

Jenny and Josh said...

BABY SHAMPOO!! I am sure you have plenty of that! It is the best eye make up remover ever!

Kelly said...

How fun to meet one of your children's heroes and get a picture! I wonder if I could match up schedules with Scooby Doo or Diego...

Rachelle said...

WOW, you're famous! How fun! You know people pay lots of $ for decent eyelashes. I know I shouldn't covet your eye-lashes, but wow!

Beth said...

That is just amazing! You have to let us know when your infomercial comes out!
Baby Signing Time is the best thing ever!

Bobi said...

I am glad you had that experience. Way to go! And, if I lived closer, you could have borrowed Lyssa or my eye make-up remover! So sorry...

Traci said...

Wow, that is great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...