Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Helmet Fitting and First Haircut

Yesterday morning, we took Ellie to Grandma and Grandpa's house, and then drove downtown with Lynlee to pick up her helmet.  Lynlee is so sweet and happy all of the time.  She just bounced on Greg's knee and talked and played with toys while we were waiting.   The Fit Well guy was kind and professional.  He made it look super easy to slide the helmet on and off.  We have since discovered that it is a little tricky, but I guess after we have a few weeks practice it will get easier...   He had made the helmet from the paper mache cast taken a couple of weeks ago, and he would make some markings and go away for a few minutes to adjust the helmet, then come back and re-mark and re-adjust.  This happened 3 or 4 times


 So far, Lynlee doesn't seem to mind wearing the helmet.  It almost seems like it is harder on me, because I absolutely hate seeing her in it.  Her little head is sweaty all of the time, and her hair is all matted down.  And it has changed how I hold her, because I have to be careful that we don't bonk heads.  And I realize how much I used to rub her head and kiss her forehead.  And, did I mention that I hate it?  I have to constantly remind myself that 3 months is a relatively short amount of time, and that it will get better and seem normal, and that it really is good for her to do the helmet therapy, and that I did the research and we feel good about the decision.

And then I hate it some more.

Lynlee's beautiful hair is making her helmet slip and slide around her head, so the hair had to go.  I am not a professional, and have rarely cut hair in my life, but I figured it didn't need to be pretty, just shorter.


my gorgeous baby looks like a forlorn, shorn sheep

wow, that's a lot of hair!

4 comments:

Jonette said...

Hang in there Heather! It may be hard now but it will be worth it. We love you & sweet Lynee Lou!

Traci said...

I'm sure it is a hard thing to have to go through. It will get easier though. I love the flower on her helmet.
Cutting her hair is actually a good thing. It will grow in thicker. I have trimmed Hope almost every month. And I did cut it when she was a few months old.

Beth said...

Oh Heather, that is so hard! It will be worth it though (but you know that)
Hang in there Mama!

Carrie said...

With or without the helmet, she's still beautiful!! My niece had to have the entire top of her skull cut off and rebuilt because her soft-spots closed too early, so hey - the helmet sounds better than that :). Plus - is that a hole in the top of the helmet? Looks like it would be perfect to pull a curl through ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...