Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dicey's Song


I stayed up way too late--til about 1:30--last night reading Dicey's Song.  This book has been one of my favorites since junior high, and I have read it dozens of times.  I honestly don't even know if it is really that good, or if I just have an emotional connection with it, but every time I reread it I get pulled back in to the story.

This book is the 2nd in a series, and I read it 1st.  I devoured it and connected with it and loved it.  I even wrote the author for a school assignment once (and got a handwritten reply that I promptly put in my box of treasures).  I probably read it 10 times before I ever read the first book in the series. 

I hadn't even realized what I had missed.

There were layers and nuances in this story that were revealed by reading Homecoming.

This got me thinking about the first time Greg and I saw Ocean's Eleven.  We rented it and watched it in Kyle & Jonette's basement with Tammy and Tanya.  Those four had already seen it.  As soon as the movie was over, Tanya bounced out of her seat and asked, "Well, what did you miss?"

It was extremely funny and profound.  How could we know what we had missed?

How often in life does this happen to me?

I choose to live my life not hampered by regrets, but it is interesting to stop and think about missed opportunities.  Missed chances to be a little kinder, be a little more patient, show a little more love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...