Saturday, March 23, 2013

Waking Up. And Doing Hard Things.

Lynnie woke up about 6 this morning and wanted milk.  I went to put her back in bed afterwards, but it has been so long since she woke up in the middle of the night (hee hee) that she wouldn't go back to bed.  I was still tired, so I brought her in bed with me, where we both fell back asleep.

When Ellie got up, her sense of fair play was severely wounded.  We have been working with her a lot lately about not wandering into our bed in the middle of the night.  Fairly often, I will try to roll over in my sleep and encounter that little person sprawled across our bed.  

Ellie comes marching into the bathroom where I was showering, put her hands on her hips, and asked, "Has Lynlee been in your bed all night?"

After reassuring her that sister had only been there a little while, Ellie climbed up to watch a show while I finished up.  She watched an episode of Curious George, and then wanted Fresh Beat Band.  

The instant that the title song started, Lynnie's eyes popped open, her arms stretched overhead, and she rolled up onto the pillows to watch.

I wonder if she would have woken up if I started another Curious George?
 After getting ready, I headed out to judge for Piano Festival.  I came home for a couple of hours and then headed back to watch my beautiful Bailey girls perform.   I have taught Kinz since she was a kindergartener and she is now a Senior.  Syreese started in 2nd grade and is now in 8th.  I have "kicked out" all of my other piano students but could not let these two go. 

We gathered for pictures before we went in, and Syreese seemed calm and ready.  Kinz told me she was ill and was trying hard not to throw up.  Poor girl!

Kinz was first up and did her first piece flawlessly.  She started a little shaky on her second piece, but got it together quickly and really started going to town.  After about a minute, I could see her shoulders kind of shaking, and it went downhill after that.  She told me afterwards that she was really struggling and it made her lose her concentration.  She finished her piece and ran out to visit the bathroom.

Seriously, poor girl!

Syreese did amazing when it was her turn.  She tackled a really hard, 5 page song.  I was really proud of her!

There are lots of lessons in here, about doing hard things (they both challenged themselves and learned difficult pieces), and persevering, and never-stopping-even-when-you-might-throw-up-any-second-and-you-make-up-the-entire-middle-section-of-your-song.

But I'm too tired to articulate them.

Bottom line, I am proud of these beautiful young women for coming and performing and trying their best.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...