Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Power of Moms

My amazing weekend to recharge and learn continued on Saturday with a Power of Moms retreat in Park City.  My former college roommate Rachelle is on the board and she hooked me up for the retreat.

The first order of business was to find my name tag.  I am in love with the fact that it says 2 children.

Seriously, I get to be the mommy to two fabulous children!  It doesn't get much better than that.
I appreciated the fact that they started on time and dove right into the days events. 

Richard & Linda Eyre hosted the event in their home, and also spoke with us multiple times.  They have written many books on parenting and shared a lot of good information.
 Saren Eyre Loosli and April Perry are the founders of the Power of Moms and did a lot of the training.



I came away from the day inspired to be a better mother and have more patience with the girls.  Some ideas that were presented:

1.  I need to be proactive and deliberate in my mothering.  

2.  Having a family narrative (knowing stories of parents, grandparents, etc) is proven by research to lead to resiliency in children.

3.  I want to not just survive motherhood, but to thrive.

4.  April Perry:  You have just as much satisfaction moving towards a goal as you do when you achieve it.  Pick a dream and work towards it.  Because mommy is a person, too.

5.  My goal is to wake up excited and go to bed content.

6.  Richard Eyre (paraphrase-as accurate as I could be as I frantically scribbled):  The present is not something to get through:  it is something to experience, to relish, and to be grateful for.  It is all you will ever have.  You never reach the future!

7.  Linda Eyre (paraphrase):  Life is long.  There are seasons for things.  It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

8.  April Perry (paraphrase):  We have a lot of tasks to accomplish as mothers.  Involve our children.  How can I accomplish this task while building a relationship?

9.  The Eyres:  Have a "Repenting Bench" when the girls fight.  Sit there until they can say what they did wrong themselves (not what sister did wrong).  Say:  I'm sorry.  Will you forgive me?  I'll try not to do it again.  I will do ____ to fix the problem.  Give hugs and kisses.

10.  http://www.positiveparentingsolutions.com/ Consequences should be Respectful, Related, Reasonable in Duration, Revealed in Advance, Repeated Back to You

11.  Saren Loosli (paraphrase):  Being a mom is living out my number one dream.


Again, I'm grateful to Greg for being willing and excited to give me this day.  It was a wonderful cap to my weekend of fun!



Some pictures taken by Rachelle and posted on April's blog:
Saren Loosli and Rachelle Price

getting ready to start

a group discussion
 

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

So glad you came and so glad you enjoyed it! I love your "take aways". Your girls are so blessed to have you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...