Friday, April 11, 2014

Grandma Great

We started our morning yesterday with a check-up at the ophthalmologist (Lynnie is looking great and we don't have to go back for 6 months).  Then the girls and I dropped Greg off at home and headed north to visit Grandma Great in the hospital.  She is in renal failure, and I wanted to see her at least one more time.

Ellie loves Grandma Great, and always says that she is her "favorite grandma ever!"  She was very excited to go and visit.  Lynnie has been very concerned about Grandma Great ever since she fell a couple of weeks ago and got a cut on her head (we were supposed to visit her that day, but she spent the morning getting stitches and then wasn't up for visitors).  

When we walked in the room, the first thing Ellie said was, "Grandma, why does Grandma Great look so different?"

This is the first time that Cece has met Grandma Great.  I hope that Ellie and Lynnie will remember her when they get older.

Mom was able to get Grandma to wake up for just a minute.  She said hi to mom and then looked at me and said, "Hi Heather!"  She looked at us all briefly and went back to sleep.


The hospital room is a sacred place.  Mom and I were teary-eyed many times.  Ellie especially was very gentle with Grandma Great, and could not stop looking at her.



Lynnie did not come close when Grandma Great was awake, but she was very aware of her.


I had prepped the girls before we came, telling them that Grandma Great was very sick and was going to go back to live with Heavenly Father.  Grandma was telling them that it was good because Grandma Great will get to be with Grandpa Great again.  Ellie got very excited and said, "I know!  Grandma is very happy because she will be with Grandpa and Jesus.  But we are sad because we will miss her."

Well said, baby.

The girls wanted to draw a picture and notes for Grandma Great, and found a great window nook to do that.




Then it was time to take pictures in groupings.  Ellie had very specific ideas about who should be in which picture.

Anytime I'm in the picture, Ellie took the picture.


When it was time to go, Mom got Grandma Great to wake up again for just a few more seconds.  We said our good-byes.

Mom told me later that after we left the room, Grandma said to tell us thanks for coming.

We tried out the little stroller for Cece, and she did well in it.  But I ended up just carrying her for most of the time because she was a little fussy.  Lynnie loved being pushed by Ellie.




Grandma Great went to join Grandpa Great around 3 a.m.  I am so grateful that I was able to see her and talk with her one more time.  She has had a full life, with 98 years on this earth.  It is a celebration that she can return Home.

But it is just so...final.

3 comments:

HappyCamper said...

What wonderful commentary from a dear granddaughter about her grandmother. Ellie sure nailed the essence of death and post-mortality. Keep teaching her the "good stuff". We send our sympathy to you and all of the family.

Renee said...

Thinking of you. What tender pictures. Your girls will remember her. I am so glad you were able to be there with her to say your goodbyes! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Oh Heather -- what a bittersweet time!!! I am glad you were able to say goodbye. I agree that the hospital can be a sacred place. I think you're awesome for taking the girls with you. I'm sure it can be a little overwhelming to take three kids anywhere, especially a place like the hospital! But I think it was important for them too. I love you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...