Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Girls' Camp

I love Girls' Camp!  It is one of my favorite places on earth.  The Spirit that is there, the beautiful surroundings, the amazing Young Women -- it all combines to create some of the best hours of my year.  In the 16 years we have lived in Utah, I have managed to get to Girls' Camp 14 times.  I make it a priority because those hours recharge me and fill my soul.

I used to have to work harder, like volunteering to teach the knots class or to bring pizza for dinner.  A few years ago, when Kylene was 12 or 13, I stumbled on a way to have people begging me to come :)

The Candy Bar Game!

It is a fun little game and it has become a tradition at camp.  And I am the lucky one who gets to come up and play it with the girls.

Lyssa had volunteered to babysit, which meant that Bobi got to come to (Lyssa doesn't have her license yet).  Our ward was camping at Camp Mia Shalom this year, about a 2 hour drive, so we knew it would be a late night.  Mom was recruited to come and do the late night part of the shift.  Bobi texted me a picture of Lynnie and Puppy from their walk before I left the land of cell service.

We waited for a couple of minutes for the sheep to clear the road on our drive up.  I had to take a picture for Ellie since she loves all "lambies."

Sister Goodman is my favorite!  She is the camp director and she was sporting this fabulous coat when we got there. In addition to being the coolest person ever, Stacey grew up with my cousin Jen.  They were in the same ward and even played on the same soccer team, coached by Uncle Floyd.  Small world!

A little rendition of the Shark song.  I think they were on Papa Shark here.

After a delicious dinner cooked by Sister Gooch, it was time for the Main Event.  The rules were quickly explained to the newbies (if you roll 7, 11, or doubles you can pick a candy bar from the table or steal one from a friend) and we got the game under way.  We are a big group now, and last year we introduced the idea of having 2 sets of dice going around the table simultaneously.  It makes it even harder to keep track of who has what candy.

The big hits this year were the Junior Mints (like always--because everyone tries to steal them from Greg, who promptly steals them right back) and the Cadbury Mini Easter Eggs that I had had stashed in my basement.  We always do a speed round at the end, and this year they spontaneously started doing a drum roll on the table, which was awesome and really kept the energy going for the last two minutes.


And then, it was over.

Time to put the chairs in a circle and get ready for a fireside by the President.  They started us off singing some hymns and songs.  Hailey had learned a few on the ukulele and she accompanied some songs.  Then Hailey, looking so calm and confident, performed a song with Brinn.  Hailey wrote the song.  Hailey wrote this song!


It was amazing to see Hailey and Brinn perform.  Normally, Hailey does not like to draw attention to herself.  A few years ago she was so shy that she had a hard time sitting in the "princess chair" at New Beginnings while Julie said nice things about her.  I was so proud of her for singing in front of her peers.  I may have totally cried a little.  It was an amazing couple of minutes!

We got home around midnight, so I didn't text Julie the video until the next morning.  She told me that she got my text before she got out of bed, and as soon as she saw the video, she sat straight up in bed and said -- out loud -- who is this girl?

It was a wonderful way to spend the day!  I am grateful that our girls were in the capable hands of Lyssa, Bobi, and Grandma while we were away.

And now, a bonus video of the Young Women singing Walk Tall, You're a Daughter of God.
  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...